[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv6 HD ratio

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed May 11 08:23:59 EDT 2005

In a message written on Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:14:45AM +0100, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> And now we get to the crux of the issue. The decay of ARIN
> as a membership organization. Why does ARIN not operate a mailing
> list for members to discuss policy, etc.? There is no way for
> members to communicate. A few members are on this public policy
> mailing list. A few members attend meetings. The vast majority
> just pay their fees and get their addresses.
>
> But policy is determined, not by ARIN members but by the
> industry elite who sit on the ARIN advisory council and
> the board of trustees.

Whoa.  I find this personally offensive.  The AC does not make
policy.  The AC's role is clearly laid out in
http://www.arin.net/policy/irpep.html.

The part you don't see is that after every public policy meeting
we meet and discuss what policies had consensus.  It's not about
what AC members want, it's about what was voiced in the meetings,
on the mailing list, and in the halls.  We talk about if the community
supports the action or not.  Although some of the AC members (such
as myself) are quite vocal and passionate on various issues, when
it comes to deciding what the community wants I believe you'll find
us very humble, and looking to what the community decided.

Which is exactly why I composed my original message.  In order to
do my job at the next meeting, I need to know what the community
is thinking.  I do that by reading the mailing list, listening to
speakers at the meetings, and talking to various people in the
hallways at the meetings.  I also consider the source.  The AC and
BoT carry less weight in the evaluation of "community consensus",
at least with me because of their positions.

Finally, this is the list for members to communicate.  ARIN has a
/Public/ policy process.  You don't need to be an ARIN member to
introduce a policy, or attend a meeting.  There is no elite here,
there is a completely open and transparent process with no exclusions.
ARIN members who are interested in policy, can and do speak up on
this list.