[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv6 HD ratio

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed May 11 06:14:45 EDT 2005

> As much as I enjoy a good debate, as an AC member I think it's
> critical we dig into what the ARIN membership, and public in general
> want.

And now we get to the crux of the issue. The decay of ARIN
as a membership organization. Why does ARIN not operate a mailing
list for members to discuss policy, etc.? There is no way for
members to communicate. A few members are on this public policy
mailing list. A few members attend meetings. The vast majority
just pay their fees and get their addresses.

But policy is determined, not by ARIN members but by the
industry elite who sit on the ARIN advisory council and
the board of trustees.

I really think this is a bad thing because we all become
out of touch with what is happening in the network provider
industry. Not all sectors of the industry operate in the
same way or have the same problems or view the world in the
same way. Diversity leads to strength and the policy
discussions are not as diverse as they should be.

--Michael Dillon