[ppml] IPv6>>32

Howard, W. Lee L.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue May 10 18:02:51 EDT 2005

I think that argument is a little misleading.  Extrapolating
(32 bits / 30 years) = (64 bits / 60 years) assumes that past
performance is a predictor of future allocation [1].

The problem, as I like to frame it, is that if we take the
attitude that IPv6 is infinite, then addresses or subnets will
be assigned to consumables, consumed, and never reused.  I see
lots of engineers-cum-science-fiction-writers who talk about
potential uses for IPv6, all of which seem to me to argue against
themselves; they seem to say there will be such demand that we
can't afford to be careful now.  Especially since produce-truck
drivers, nanobots, and complex molecules, are not ISPs as
currently defined by policy.  If these clusters are going to be
sliding gracefully from network to network with their /48s, then
the /32 aggregation goal is blown.

The magic of a /64 is that it's a single routable entity.  If I
assume that layer 3 networks connect layer 2 networks, I still
haven't seen any argument here about what a layer 2 network of
2^64 devices would look like.  It's not only inconceivable, it's
inconceivable to (2^32) power or more, and then we say that we
have to assign this enormous set of numbers in groups of 2^16.

The /48 rule applied equally to every possible definition of
end user is arbitrary and reckless.  I will concede that in
IPv6 terms, a /48 is reasonable for the enterprise network,
but I just can't understand how it's more responsible to assign
this much to every node on the theory that in someone's wildest
dreams, any node could someday be a router.  If a node does
someday become a router, is renumbering one device (possibly to
a /48) insurmountable?  Even if it is, is there any barrier to
the household (or cellular, or vehicular) router routing (or
switching) /96 subnets within the /64?  Presumably, my blinds
will never have a host address (EUI-64, MAC, or whatever) that
conflicts with my vacuum cleaner.

Oh, for the record, Geoff Huston's model said we'd consume a /1
to a /4 in 60 years; at the rate of one /1 every 60 years, we
run out of IPv6 space in 120 years.

Lee

[1] OK, technically it assumes an exponential progression, but a
predictable exponent.  And I don't think most people see that.