[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv6 HD ratio

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Tue May 10 14:00:48 EDT 2005

Hi Randy.

> > One of the major components of that conservation discussion has been
> > changing the HD Ratio for subsequent allocations.  The change to .94 from .8
> > in the proposed policy change arises from work by Geoff Huston and his
> > presentation at the ARIN XV meeting IPv6 Roundtable along with others.
> >
> > It seems to me following the various threads that there is little resistance
> > to the HD Ratio change.

> i suspect that some folk may not understand all of the implications.
> heck, i probably don't.  but one would seem to be that it makes it
> even harder for the smaller folk and not too much harder for the larger.

I don't understand this.

One of the observations made in Geoff's presentations is that
something like 80% of all assignments are for the default /32
size. Changing the HD ratio threshhold will not impact those "smaller"
sites at all.

The impact will be on the larger sites, those that can justify more
than the default /32. Under the proposed HD ratio value of .94, they
will be able to obtain less space than under the current .8 threshold,
but quite a lot more than under the IPv4 "80% utilization" threshhold.

Thomas