[ppml] /48 vs /32 micro allocations, answer: /48

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Wed Mar 16 23:39:38 EST 2005

Paul Vixie wrote:
> and i'd agree with that statement, which differs from a general
> endorsement of /48's as you appeared to be making earlier.

Not a personal endorsement, just a summary of the responses
so far to the question: "Should we allocate something larger
than /48 for microallocs in case they have bad side effects?"
All the responses so far have been emphatically "No!"

I am still concerned about possible side effects that are
unique to /48: Having to accept millions of deaggregated
/48's to get the best/only route to sites with traffic
engineered/orphaned routes.  I'm not saying that larger
microallocs will prevent that, because there certainly
are other forces at work, only that they *might*
reduce/delay/prevent it.

Kevin