[ppml] /48 vs /32 micro allocations, answer: /48

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Wed Mar 16 20:31:41 EST 2005

> >>In any case there seems to be a strong consensus that /48's are ok for
> >>microallocations.

> > not from me.  ... where's the unique yet universal benefit of a /48?

> The universal benefit for 2005-1 allocations is "deployment".

and i'd agree with that statement, which differs from a general
endorsement of /48's as you appeared to be making earlier.

> I would also put TLD servers in the same category as root servers for
> criticality (perhaps even more so since the root zone is easy to
> locally mirror in an emergency but tld's are not).

so if i run a server that was ever authoritative for a TLD, i could get
a microallocation?  i'm not sure that scales well.  one of the ways
you can know that some infrastructure is critical is if there's a very
small number of them.