[ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-3 Global Addresses for Private Network Inter-Connectivity

Robert E.Seastrom ppml at rs.seastrom.com
Tue Feb 15 23:12:41 EST 2005

Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> writes:

> At 11:31 AM 2/15/2005 -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
>>> encouraged to use private IP address numbers
>>
>>i do not believe the above phrase, in particular the word "encouraged,"
>>should occur anywhere
>>

> Maybe we should encourage people to use IPv6 in the policy    :)

While understanding that there are technical hurdles (particularly
certain network vendors who remain wishy-washy in their v6 support)
which stand in the way of implementation _today_, such barriers can be
expected to become slowly lower over time, and proposals should be
considered with an eye towards conditions next year and three years
from now as well as conditions next month..

I believe that we would be remiss in our stewardship duties if we did
not include language along the lines of "Applicants are reminded of
the comparatively finite nature of IPv4 address space and are
encouraged to consider substituting IPv6 in private networks to the
extent practicable" in any proposal that addresses globally unique
addresses for private networks.

We then need to put our money where our mouths are by vigorously
supporting private v6 space, but that's an argument for another
thread...

                                        ---Rob