[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-9: 4-Byte AS Number

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Dec 20 21:46:40 EST 2005

In a message written on Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:37:17AM +1100, Geoff Huston wrote:
> Discussion to date on the pml mailing list has highlighted the potential
> ambiguity in the nomenclature section, specifically with the use of the
> colon (':') separator character, and a period ('.') has been proposed instead.

I have to wonder why the choice of separator is an ARIN matter.  It
seems to me that there should be a global standard for what separator
is used, probably from the IETF or similar.  It would be rather
stupid if ARIN chose one separator and RIPE chose another.

In reality, whatever vendor has the first widely deployed 32 ASN
supporting image will probably determine what separator becomes the
most common.

So the question becomes, what separator has been proposed in the 32
bit ASN documentation in the IETF land?  However poor a choice was
made there, is there any defendable reason for ARIN to use something
different?