[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Dec 12 13:36:14 EST 2005

Andrew Dul wrote:
> [...]

With Geoff's policy proposal until 2010 you will be able to request
those, after that you won't be able to.

> Or maybe I wanted a 4-byte for another reason could I request one be
> allocated from that range?

After 2007 this proposal should be in effect and you should be able to
request one.

> Mostly I just asking the question, since moving to a 4-byte world
> seems to be a pretty big step and we should try and cover the various
> cases that are going to develop from this change.

It will be a big step indeed, this is why there is a timeframe in the
document to give a clear transitional timeframe, but not a flagday (just
like IPv6 ;) Geoff has run quite a lot of numbers on these subjects and
knowing his other work in this areas his projections are pretty
accurate. ASN's are already at ~40k and have been going out faster the
last couple of years. Moving to 4-byte ASN's will thus be mandatory.
Note also that the draft for the 4-byte ASN's notes that it will be
transparent to most players.

BTW: I support this proposal and would very much like to see this being
proposed to the other RIR's. Geoff, did you also push this in those
directions already? I either haven't seen it yet, though I could have
missed it.

Greets,
 Jeroen