[ppml] v6 PI space and Edu

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 13:47:59 EDT 2005

hello,

On 4/21/05, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> wrote:

> Under the current v6 allocation scheme it would be unlikely that a university could get a
> direct ARIN allocation unless the operated a "network" that served served multiple
> customers.

Under the current scheme, they might not, depending on how they and
ARIN interpret the phrase "other organizations" in the criteria from
http://arin.net/policy/index.html#six51

"To qualify for an initial allocation of IPv6 address space, an
organization must:
(snip)
    d) be an existing, known ISP in the ARIN region or have a plan for
making at least 200 /48 assignments to other organizations within five
years."

If each department/organisational unit of the university is considered
as a different "organization" then many universities who are also LIRs
could qualify.

If the policy said "customers" and the LIR treated students as such,
then it would be
easier to meet the criteria.

> Seems to me that it only makes sense to promote v6 deployments in edu, if that means 1 prefix in the routing table for each major university that seems reasonable to me.

Agreed.

Regards,

McTim