[ppml] 2005-1 and/or Multi6

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Apr 14 06:20:04 EDT 2005

> since one of the good arguments for 2005-1 is to allow provider
> independent multi-homing, is there anyone out there who has been
following
> the multi6 working group in IETF who believes there will a timely
> alternative forthcoming from that working group?

I don't believe that multi6 will be done anytime soon.

> do folks believe that PI /48s assigned under 2005-1, should it become
> policy, would be willingly returned to ARIN by assignees once an
> alternative workable multi6 implementation exists or would this policy
> just create SWAMPv6?

I don't believe that ARIN should be allocating anybody IPv6
ranges that are smaller than a /32. However, I see no reason why
ARIN should not hand out an IPv6 /32 block to any AS number
holder who asks for one, no questions asked.

First, an IPv6 /32 is the same percentage of the total address
space as an IPv4 /32. So I don't view this as being wasteful in
any way. Second, an AS number holder has already met some
qualifications to get the AS number and I think that should
be sufficient to also get an IPv6 /32.

And most importantly, I think it would be BAD precedent
for ARIN to encourage the insertion of LONG prefixes in
the global IPv6 routing table. Router manufacturers have
some options to optimize their implementations if all
PI prefixes are 32 bits or less. If we start issuing lots
of /48s then we steal away that opportunity for optimizing
the router hardware. That would be bad.

--Michael Dillon