[ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-7: Residential Customer Privacy P olicy

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Thu Sep 23 00:20:05 EDT 2004

> From owner-ppml at arin.net  Wed Sep 22 18:16:52 2004
> From: "Azinger, Marla" <marla_azinger at eli.net>
> To: ppml at arin.net
> Subject: RE: [ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-7: Residential Customer Privacy P
> 	olicy
> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:13:30 -0700
>
> Reducing or should I say limiting the number makes perfect sense.  However,
> doesnt a /25 still seem a little large of an assignment for residential use?
> How did you come up with this number?  Even if someone was using one IP
> number per remote controlled device in their house...I still think 128 ip
> numbers would be slightly excessive wouldnt it?
>
> In general I support this proposal....I just question the quantity stated.

I concur entirely with the above sentiments.

I can concieve how a residence with several co-habiting techies could possibly
exhaust a /28 of _publicly_accessable_ addresses, *HOWEVER*,q I seriously
question that 'personal-only' use could legitimitely need anything larger than
a /27 in =public= address-space.   Given the size of the RFC-1918 space
available for use at _any_ residence -- and the number of million-dollar-plus-
annual-revenues business that operate out of only a single /29 -- I utterly
fail to concieve how 'stictly non-business use' could possibly _require_ a /25.
I'd suggest that a /27 is a rational upper bound, and that even for a /27,
that a _hard_look_ be taken at the 'justification' for requesting that large
an address-space before 'private' status is authorized for said /27.

"Wish-list" would include some guide-lines as to _some_ things which absolutely
_disqualified_ a customer from being considered 'non-business'.  e.g., services
paid for by company check, or on a 'corporate' credit-card.