[ppml] Draft ARIN Recomendation

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Fri Oct 22 11:51:32 EDT 2004

> Using this information, I'm going to put forth an alternative
> statement which I think many network engineers (eg, "the Nanog
> crowd") would agree, and most ARIN members would not disagree with:
>
>    ARIN Manages globally unique address identifiers for the ARIN Region.

Not so. ARIN only manages globally unique address identifiers that
the IETF has asked IANA to manage. We don't manage telephone numbers
or IEEE committee numbers (802.11b) and so on. When you removed the
word "Internet" from the statement, you broke the chain from the
IETF through IANA.

> If there existed a system where people could get globally unique
> identifiers for free, I believe they would.

If you want a free domain name, you can get one from http://www.eu.org
In the IPv6 address space there is plenty of room for anyone to
do a similar service provided that the prefixes are routable
and that is something that operators need to comment on because
they spend their money making addresses routable. Any solution
at this layer has to be technically and financially feasible
for operators to deliver on, otherwise it won't happen.

Hmmm... something like WIANA? http://www.wiana.org

> Now that I have outlined why I think ARIN has a group needs to be
> involved, I will also outline why I personally think these proposals
> will not be successful in the way the authors intend.

This is meat for the IETF to discuss. I'm happy for them
to consider your views whether I agree with them or not.

I'd like to point out that my company is in the business
of providing a global internet without the Internet. We
interconnect many networks managed by many organizations
using the Internet Protocol. None of these networks are
supposed to be connected to the Internet directly other
than through very restrictive secure VPN gateways that
treat the Internet as a layer 2 access network. I have
been told that there are roughly half a dozen similar
networks in the world, not counting military networks
or internal networks of large global corporations.

Some of the stuff in these proposals seems interesting
although I have not studied them in enough detail to
make useful comments at this point.

------
Michael Dillon
Radianz