[ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-7: Residential Customer Privacy P olicy

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Oct 19 17:33:24 EDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Paul Bradford wrote:

>     So what is the criteria for a "non business" service?  How do you
> get ISPs to enforce this?  If I spam from my home... am I using it for a
> business?  nope... it's my residential static IP Block....
> Just a few random thoughts that went through my head...

It would be up to ISP to enforce based on the reports they receive, i.e.
if somebody reports that you have website with shopping-cart on your
computer hosted on residential dsl, that will be good indication of
business use. SPAM, or more specifically UCE is also considered business
use of the service (email sent for commercial purposes).

In my opinion, most important is to let users know that no business activities
is a requirement if they want their address/name hidden from public records,
i.e. ISP would not just automaticly "hide" customer info just because its
residential dsl order (as SBC seems to have been doing lately) but would
have special form which prints out requirements and customer has to sign and
return to have his data hidden.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks