[ppml] Fwd: Internet Governance

Alan Levin alan at futureperfect.co.za
Thu Nov 25 04:45:08 EST 2004

Hi,

re:
> From: Member Services <memsvcs at arin.net>
> Date: 16 November 2004 20:54:41 GMT+02:00
>
> Below are the e-mail addresses provided on the ITU list of sector
> members for those representatives from current ARIN member
> organizations. Please review the entire list for all countries within
> the
> ARIN region. There are other organizations on that list for whom you
> may have contacts
> and wish to include in your correspondence.
> mortimer.hope at vodacom.co.za

I spotted this and adapted Bills message (thanks Bill for cc'ing us) to
Mortimer (who I have met at a local conference).

I am not sure what to make of his response (below) but it appears that
he is not aware of the ITU since he wants to pass on my email to his
local telco people. I'm not sure what to make of this, but I suppose my
post to afnog in this regard becomes relevant here too...

> From: Alan Levin <alan at futureperfect.co.za>
> Date: 18 November 2004 23:48:24 GMT+02:00
> To: afnog at afnog.org
> Subject: Fwd: [afnog] Re: Request for input: The
> WorkingGrouponInternetGovernance
>
> my 2c...
>
> In my past decade of experiences working with the people that
> participate in this policy making activity:
> some are often under-qualified and do it as part of 'the job',
> some are often passionate and do it because they want to and they care
> to.
>
> I do not mean that the former do not care about their career, the
> concern is that their organisation may come before the open knowledge
> and sharing intentions of the latter. There can be a good mix, the
> concern I have is that only some are 'invited' to the ITU decision
> making, anyone on this list can be involved in ICANN (and related RIR
> and tld) decision making just if they want to.

here's the response I got from Mortimer...
QED

Begin forwarded message: