[ppml] composition of and representation on the BoT

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue Nov 23 12:22:28 EST 2004

At 11:41 -0500 11/23/04, Randy Bush wrote:
>...  i am most interested in gregory massel's (sp?)
>original issue, lack of participation by end users and others
>affected by arin's policies today and tomorrow.  this requires
>true outreach, as few are members, know of arin, ...  i suspect
>that, to reach them will require changes in internal election
>policy from the old boys' and girls' club, ...

I agree with this.  It's not silence that's a problem, it's
unbalanced silence that's the concern.

If someone stood up a universally acceptable policy, is it beneficial
to fill the airwaves with thousands of "me toos?"  The marginal
benefit of voicing an opinion for the sake of voicing an opinion
drops off quite rapidly.

I have reasons why I haven't been participating in ARIN discussions,
even though I have had a few short discussions in hallways on issues.
The reasons boil down to time and priorities.  No matter what ARIN
did as far as outreach would get me more involved - I know where ARIN
is.  If and when the times comes, I know what to do to be involved.

As Randy echoes above - ARIN needs to make sure it is getting an
appropriate balance in discussions, not getting more volume.