[ppml] RE: [arin-announce] NRO Response to ITU Comments on th e Management of Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses

John Brown CT john at chagres.net
Thu Nov 18 14:40:17 EST 2004

Part of the issue, as I've mentioned many a time before, during and
after my time on the AC is.

Many US based ISP's, ergo the small business thats an ISP, don't view
ARIN as something to be involved with.  They see this because of:

1.  ARIN is for the big boys.

2.  ARIN was really a PIA for them to deal with in the past and thus
     they don't care about it today.

3.  ARIN, what have they done for me lately??  I'm a business person
     when it affects my bottom line I'll care.  (this is bad since some
     policies from ARIN aren't know until after the fact)

4.  ARIN, who are they again ?  Oh yeah  My upstream has to deal with
     them.

Bill, the entire outreach and education function of ARIN is sadly
missing.  ARIN needs to reach out, and yes that might mean it needs to
be a bit more BOLD about it.  NANOG doesn't count.  NANOG in the view of
the small to mid size ISP (more of them than large guys), is for the Big
Boys as well.  Its topics are not something that a typical /20 holder
would goto.  Travel costs aside.

Personally I believe the AC needs to be much more active and openly
communicating with the "stake holders"   The AC is involved on some
policy making functions, but kept out of other policy making functions.

The AC is the path for the community to the BOT, and if the BOT is
talking about policy, then the AC had better be getting active feed back
from the community.  This hasn't happened in the past.

john brown