[ppml] RE: [arin-announce] NRO Response to ITU Comments on th e Management of Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Wed Nov 17 10:01:47 EST 2004

Gregory stated....

> So yes, I do believe that these governments should become
> members and/or
> actively participate in the RIRs policy meetings, however, I
> think it is
> extremely optimistic to expect them to do so without us
> actively encouraging
> them to and writing to them and persuading them that this
> would be a good
> way to achieve their goals.
>
> I also think that it is extemely naive to think that the ITU
> won't actively
> try and persuade them that their approach is better and that
> they're more
> involving of government. It is up to the RIRs to engage
> governments to
> ensure that the ITU's voice is not seen as being the only one in this
> matter!

Agreed.  I think it is incumbent upon ARIN and the NRO to engage Governments
directly and to invite them (and all other stakeholders) to become
participants in physical and online meetings.

I suppose a first step is to identify key individuals and departments and
place them on the ARIN 'Announce' mail list.
Another would be to offer specific 'education' on Internet technology and
organization that could be offered to government entities...either as online
or classroom tutorials.

Thanks to you Gregory for your active participation and discussion....

Bill Darte
ARIN Advisory Council
314 935-7575