[ppml] Draft ARIN Recomendation on draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-centra l-00.txt, take 2

adb at onramp.ca adb at onramp.ca
Tue Nov 9 15:34:41 EST 2004

Owen DeLong wrote:
> I can?t speak for Leo, but, the obvious source of confusion
> in my mind is that when presented with a free /32 and a /32
> that costs money from ARIN, someone running a router somewhere
> is going to ask the obvious question of ?Why is my free globally
> unique /32 any less routable than my ARIN /32??  When he comes
> to the conclusion that given global uniqueness, there is absolutely
> no technical reason whatsoever and that the rest is essentially
> hand-waving by the IVTF, it won?t be long before a discussion
> with his ISP leads to his /32 being effectively globally routed.

Pay your ISP enough money and he'll BGP-announce your 192.168.xxx.0/24
prefix too, but that doesn't win you much when virtually all other
players filter 1597-space.

This draft appears on the face of it to be simply an IPv6 version of
RFC 1597 with the added benefit of uniqueness, so that you and your new
corporate brothers aren't using overlapping address space internally.
(See also RFC 1627 in this regard.)

The big question is how the backbone players will react, and I'll hazard
a guess that all FC00::/8 prefixes will be filtered, so you won't get far
with your globally-unique-but-not-globally-routable prefix.

--
Anthony DeBoer