[ppml] Draft ARIN Recomendation on draft-ietf-ipv6-ula-centra l-00.txt, take 2

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 9 15:05:26 EST 2004

> You wrote:  "The proposal is likely to create confusion in the ARIN region
> about which prefixes can be routed on the Public Internet."
>
> 1. Can you clarify what specifically could be confusing?

I can´t speak for Leo, but, the obvious source of confusion
in my mind is that when presented with a free /32 and a /32
that costs money from ARIN, someone running a router somewhere
is going to ask the obvious question of ¨Why is my free globally
unique /32 any less routable than my ARIN /32?¨  When he comes
to the conclusion that given global uniqueness, there is absolutely
no technical reason whatsoever and that the rest is essentially
hand-waving by the IVTF, it won´t be long before a discussion
with his ISP leads to his /32 being effectively globally routed.

> You Wrote:  "If the prefixes in the proposal become globally routed by
> major Public Internet ISP's it has the potential to impact ARIN's
> viability."
>
> 2.  How do you see this will impact ARIN's viability?

Well... It´s hard to justify selling IP registry services if you can
go down the street and register for free.  If the free prefixes
remain free (I still don´t understand how this free registry is
supposed to cover its operating costs), and, they become globally
routable, then, why would anyone pay ARIN to register prefixes
instead of simply getting them for free?  No money coming in
and operating expenses going out tends to lead to non-viable
entities in most parts of the world.

Owen