[ppml] Re: HD ratio proposal vs. Changing percentage burden

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Mar 24 11:49:57 EST 2004

>1. How would the requestor prove utilization? Today a block that is
further
>assigned or allocated and swipped is considered 100% utilized but that
does
>not seem to be the case with the HD ratio, would you please share your
>on this.

I think that proof still has to be a private matter done
under NDA between ARIN and the requestor as it is today.
ARIN can and does ask for more information than is
required in the whois if they need it to understand
the situation.

The definition of utilization is not changed by
this policy. It would be the same as today. This
policy counts utilized blocks the same way as
before but it applies a different ratio calculation.

>2. What is the significance of only allowing someone to use the HD after
>they qualify for a /20? just curious on this one.

If you look at the second slide in the presentation
here http://www.arin.net/policy/documents/2004_2/HDRSlides/index.html
you will see that if we don't have a starting size,
then people with /24 and /23 blocks would have
a higher threshold than today. Since this new policy
is intended to help larger and growing networks like
most ISPs have, I decided to start make it applicable
at the /20 level which is the starting level for
ISP allocations.

--Michael Dillon