[ppml] Background info for HD ratio proposal

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Mar 24 06:18:44 EST 2004

Policy Proposal 2004-2 proposes that we change the 80% threshold
for additional IPv4 address allocations to a sliding scale
formula based on the same type of Host Density (HD) Ratio as
we currently use for IPv6 allocations. The formal policy proposal
is on the ARIN site http://www.arin.net/policy/2004_2.html
and is up for a vote at the Vancouver meeting.

This is a significant change to the way that IPv4 allocation
is done and I have prepared some additional background
documents to explain and clarify the proposal. If you go
to the ARIN page mentioned above, at the bottom there is
a link to the background documents page. There you can
find a brief slide presentation, a spreadsheet, some PERL
scripts and some tables. Please take a few moments to look
through this material. If there is anything unclear about
the proposal, I will try my best to answer questions on
this list.

And if Paul Wilson is lurking here, hopefully he will say
hello to let us know. My proposal is heavily dependent on
the paper that he wrote for APNIC.

Oh, and thanks to Einar Bohlin on the ARIN staff for
his patience in sorting out some technical issues of
getting this material online.

Thank you,

Michael Dillon
Capacity Management, 66 Prescot St., London, E1 8HG, UK
Mobile: +44 7900 823 672    Internet: michael.dillon at radianz.com
Phone: +44 20 7650 9493    Fax: +44 20 7650 9030