[ppml] 2001-2 Revisited

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Thu Mar 11 13:30:52 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 12:16:28PM -0500, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> How does this better than 2002-3, which was approved (albeit in amended
> form) ? The intent for 2002-3 was that you would get a /24
> _from ARIN_, which IMHO is better  than from your upstream.
>
> Now, it was changed to a /22, and I haven't submitted my proposal yet
> (so I don't know if it has ever been exercised), but given 2002-3, why
> do we need 2001-2 ?

I too would rather have ARIN space, but some entities don't feel that
way.  I have a customer that utilizes a /21 of our space because they
don't think they can afford the ARIN fees necessary to obtain their
own space.

2001-2 covers the situation where someone *wants* to use their
upstream's IP space for a /24 -- even if they might not hit address
jstification guidelines.  There are legitimate reasons for this
case -- distinct from the legitimate reasons for 2002-3.