[ppml] 2001-2 Revisited

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Thu Mar 11 12:16:28 EST 2004

How does this better than 2002-3, which was approved (albeit in amended
form) ? The intent for 2002-3 was that you would get a /24
_from ARIN_, which IMHO is better  than from your upstream.

Now, it was changed to a /22, and I haven't submitted my proposal yet
(so I don't know if it has ever been exercised), but given 2002-3, why
do we need 2001-2 ?

On Wednesday, March 10, 2004, at 06:02 PM, Dave Diller wrote:

> For those not already way-too-intimitely familiar with it, here is the
> current text of 2001-2:
>
> ---
> This policy allows a downstream customer's multi-homing requirement to
> serve as justification for a /24 reassignment from their upstream ISP,
> regardless of host requirements. Downstream customers must provide
> contact information for all of their upstream providers to the ISP
> from whom they are requesting a /24. The ISP will then verify the
> customer's multi-homing requirement and may assign the customer a /24,
> based on this policy. Customers may receive a /24 from only one of
> their upstream providers under this policy without providing
> additional justification.
> ---
>
> Now, it pretty explicitly states one /24 *per customer* in total is
> all that is allowable.  No ifs, ands, or buts about it.  It appears to
> have been tailor-made for the law office with a justifiable /27 that
> wishes to multi-home, and it works well for that purpose.
>
> How are people handling it when they have *a* customer with separate,
> multihomed, geographically discrete offices?  By the literal text of
> this policy, this is not sufficient justification to provide them with
> a /24 *per discrete site*.  If the definition is commonly being
> stretched to include this - and I think it is reasonable to do so,
> given the spirit of the policy - then the policy should be amended to
> explicitly indicate that this is an acceptable caveat.
>
> -Dave Diller
> PacketMuriqui & IP Flinger

                                  Regards
                                  Marshall Eubanks