[ppml] Petition Request for Whois Proposal

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Wed Mar 10 10:31:42 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 03:04:43PM +0000, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> This is a formal petition to advance the policy proposal entitled
> "Purpose and Scope of ARIN Whois Directory". The full text of
> the proposal is posted on the ARIN website at this URL:
> http://www.arin.net/mailing_lists/ppml/2593.html
>
> According to the Internet Resource Policy Evaluation Process, people
> who wish to document their support for the petition
> must do the following within the next five (5) days:
>
> 1) post a response to the Public Policy Mailing List
>    stating their support for the proposal, and
> 2) send email to petition at arin.net with full point of
>    contact information, including their telephone number
>    and organizational affiliation.

I'd like to document my opposition to this proposal. It is already
hard enough to investigate online fraud and other abuse without
intentional removal of contact information for allocated address
space.

Those who would be responding to requests for information at the large
providers are already horribly overworked, and this would be putting
yet more burden on them.

I can see some argument for private individuals not wanting, for example,
their home addresses listed in the ARIN database. But it is easy for
them to use a listed contact point that will accept legal service on
their behalf.

If ISPs want to take responsibility for the actions of all their customers
there's nothing to stop them offering that service to their customers -
so the ISP can be the contact point for legal service, if they should
wish to offer that service. That seems a much better option for ISPs
than being forced into that role by an ARIN policy change.

Cheers,
  Steve