[ppml] Fw: Can a Customer take their IP's with them? (Court says yes!)

Ed Allen Smith easmith at beatrice.rutgers.edu
Tue Jun 29 19:11:50 EDT 2004

In message <16609.62575.963166.648373 at ran.psg.com> (on 29 June 2004 15:59:59
-0700), randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) wrote:
>> ARIN's appropriate action is to file an Amicus Curae (Friend of the Court)
>> Brief with the appropriate court. This should be informational in nature -
>> the judge probably has no idea what the common industry practices are on
>> this area.
>
>it might be amusing, in a disgusting kind of way, to poll the
>industry to see what the folk in it think common practices are.
>i suspect that there is less agreement than we might like.  and
>probably few remember or have read the archives on the subject.
>
>just to kick the silliness off, my fading memory is of generall
>consensus once upon a time that giving a departing customer a
>minumum of three to a maximum of six months to renumber was
>appropriate.

This would, I hope, depend on whether the customer was leaving due to a TOS
violation or not? If the customer has been spamming (whether or not said
spam was within the spam definition of the CAN-SPAM Act) or committing other
network abuse, then it wuould appear appropriate to remove them immediately
(although it may be best to wait a while to reuse said address space so that
it can disappear from blacklists (public and private)...).

   -Allen

--
Allen Smith                       http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
February 1, 2003                               Space Shuttle Columbia