[ppml] whois.arin.net and bulk requests

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 23 16:17:10 EDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Member Services wrote:

> As you may be aware, WHOIS services were being restored as you were
> sending this message. The outages on Saturday, last night, and the short
> one today were all hardware related. The hardware has been replaced during
> the most recent outage. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have
> caused.

I wasn't aware of that.  Does that mean the problems should all be behind
us, assuming the new hardware is stable?  Perhaps ARIN could put up an
"ARIN network status" link on the top menu section of the web site so that
such outages (planned or otherwise) would be more easily/automatically
explained by the web site.

Otherwise, each time there's an outage, first I have to wonder, have I
been blocked?  Has my whole network been blocked (less likely), has this
other network where I have an account also been blocked (not at all
likely)...must be an outage.