[ppml] Bogons etc...

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jan 21 20:23:00 EST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Michel Py wrote:

> Without having a chance to check it first, indeed. However, this is not
> the issue. Why did we have problems with 69/8 and why do we have
> problems with 70/8? Not because the list of bogons is difficult to find.
> It's not. It's because it takes time for any large organization to
> update their bogon filters on all their routers.

Yeah right.  Having personally interfaced with some of the broken
networks, I'd say it's more a matter of "someone setup a filter" and
nobody maintains it.  In these cases, it would actually have been better
if they did hook up a bogon BGP feed to their network...at least that
would update itself when the person who configured it had moved on.

It would be very interesting to setup a 70/8 interface on
69box.atlantic.net and see of the networks that had blocked 69/8 routes,
how many are blocking 70/8 routes.  I'd bet it'll be the majority of
them...because when contacted, someone at these networks updated their
filter(s)...but in general, still nobody maintains them.

 Atlantic Net                |