[ppml] Bogons etc...

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Jan 21 10:39:11 EST 2004

> Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> However, I think it would be extremely foolish for any
> ISP to hook this feed directly to their core routers.

Without having a chance to check it first, indeed. However, this is not
the issue. Why did we have problems with 69/8 and why do we have
problems with 70/8? Not because the list of bogons is difficult to find.
It's not. It's because it takes time for any large organization to
update their bogon filters on all their routers.

Which is why what we need is a good distribution mechanism of the
bogons.
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/draft-py-idr-redisfilter-01.txt
Which will also allow more granular filtering than bogons.

> Things like recall and punishments are
> really a separate policy issue.

Indeed.

> Right now I'd like to focus on just getting an
> authoritative and up to date listing made
> available so that people have the opportunity
> to do the right thing.

http://www.cymru.com/Bogons/index.html

I'm using the real-time BGP feed myself, works for me. The cymru team is
not immune to errors, but neither am I.

Michel.