[ppml] Bogons etc...

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Jan 21 13:43:45 EST 2004

> Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> No, no, no.
> The idea is to publish authoritative information about
> IP address blocks. This is the ARIN public policy mailing
> list and we don't do route filtering here.

I understand this, but what is the ultimate goal of publishing this?
Route filtering. Publishing for the sake of publishing does not serve
any purpose. Besides the fact that it would be re-inventing a wheel that
we are already using operationally, what good does it do if its format
is not compatible with what is used operationally.

> Precisely why LDAP is better for publishing the directory
> than using BGP4. With BGP4 the temptation is there to plug
> the directory right into core routers.

Indeed. And by the way it's never been a directory, it's always been a
prefix-list.

> With LDAP you would plug it into your ticketing system and
> some human being would make a judgement on how quickly the
> changes should be integrated into your network.

Which precisely is what's broken today, and generates all these issues
with 69/8 and 70/8. This DOES NOT work, we know it because it's driving
people nuts TODAY.

Bottom line is: present your LDAP idea at NANOG and see what you get as
feedback. The mission of the RIRs is not to tell operators how to run
their networks, and operators want to filter with BGP4 and not with
LDAP.

Michel.