[ppml] Bogons etc...

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Jan 21 06:08:08 EST 2004

There are various projects out there which try to address the issue of
which IP address ranges should be visible on the Internet. The major
one that many of you will know of is Team Cymru's Bogon Route
Server project http://www.cymru.com/BGP/bogon-rs.html
This project tries to track an announce IP address ranges which
should not be visible on the Internet, i.e. bogons. There is another
project found at http://69box.atlantic.net which deals with a related
but somewhat opposite issue. This project deals with making sure
that IP address ranges which should be visible on the Internet are
indeed functioning.

It seems to me that this kind of project is something that should
be coming from ARIN or the RIRs jointly. For the past few years we
have not had any overall RIR coordinating body. IANA has withered
away to becoming a minor administrative function performed by
ICANN under contract to the DoC. IANA can no longer play a role in
making policy and it can no longer fulfill its part in the appeals process

mentioned in RFC 2050. At the same time, ICANN has been embroiled
in all sorts of issues that arise from its oversight of the domain naming
system. Now that the NRO memorandum has been signed, there is the
possibility that we might have a place to discuss and agree on joint RIR
actions for things that affect the entire IP addressing system like
bogons.

Does anyone else agree with me that we should be looking for a way
to incorporate the bogon-related work into ARIN and the other RIRs?
In other words, should ARIN (and the other RIRs) publish a real-time
up-to-date directory of all IP address ranges currently allocated to
someone and all IP address ranges not currently in use in a form that
could replace the bogon route server and 69box.atlantic.net?

--Michael Dillon