[ppml] HD Ratio changes

Charles Scott cscott at gaslightmedia.com
Tue Feb 10 08:38:01 EST 2004

Michael:
  When this last came up I questioned why HD Ratio should be applied to
ISP allocations/assignments and received no responses. In fact, I even
challenged the application of HD Ratio to end-user address space on the
premise that the argument for HD Radio is based on the need to implement a
strict hierarchical numbering scheme. With dynamic routing protocols it
is not necessary to have a network hierarchically arranged strictly by
numeric address--subnets can appear in networks to which they are not
numerically related. The arguments for HD Ratio have used telephone
number distribution as an example, but that is not a comparative model
today (although number portability may convolute that).
  Frankly I see this as being parallel to encouraging end-users to use NAT
in that the more they use it, the more they conserve address space. In
that respect, the more people rely on dynamic routing to permit more
flexible distribution of address space, the easier it is to manage address
space and the more they can conserve (and the more they avoid the concerns
driving HD Ratio).
  Regardless of the above, all of the references about the need for HD
Ratio relate to end-user address assignment issues and don't seem to be
relevant to allocating, or re-allocating (here we go with terminology
again) blocks of addresses by ISP's. Frankly, I can't see how it would be
relevant to that. I might be inclined to agree with the use of HD Ratio if
it only applies to end user implementation of address space and not to
address block assignment/allocation, and if I was convinced that the
mitigating issues addressed above do not relieve the concerns. Otherwise,
I'm, once again, concerned that this approach unnecessarily increases waste
and complexity and in doing so provides questionable relief.

Chuck Scott
cscott at gaslightmedia.com