[ppml] Proposed Policy: PI assignments for V6

da Silva, Ron rdasilva at va.rr.com
Thu Dec 9 11:47:06 EST 2004

> I didn't thought you were... sorry for the misunderstanding.
> My comment was: i agree with you p.o.v. and what if a mobile operator
> is trying to assign a /48 to each handset? how does the rirs evaluate
> such request? is is acceptable and he will get the address space that
> he needs to assign a /48  to each handset? is this out of the scope of
> a policy?

That would be in scope for RIR policy or an RFC.  Presently, I don't
think the guidance in either RIR policy or RFC's supports this though.

Arguably though, considering 3G (EV-DV, UMTS, MIMO) developments in
mobile, perhaps some GSM/CDMA/iDEN device might be considered as a
"home" gateway and thus would follow the /48 assignment guidance from
the IETF.  That distinction hasn't been fully vetted in the community as
far as I know.

-ron