[ppml] RE: Process improvement for Repeat Proposals

Howard, William L. L.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Thu Dec 2 08:59:58 EST 2004

It may seem like a fine distinction, but. . .

We don't vote at public policy meetings.  Elections begin after
public policy meetings.  ARIN facilitates regional ASO
elections, which may coincide with ARIN meetings.

We don't vote on policy proposals in whole or in part, because a
key part of the policy process is the participation of the
public on the mailing lists.  Consensus at a meeting may be
outweighed by lack of consensus on mailing lists.  When we use
a show of hands to get a sense of the room, it's to determine
whether there's a large amount of silent support for or
opposition to a proposed policy.  This is input for the AC to
judge the level of consensus.

My description of what you're suggesting would be:
1. The text of the proposed policy is read.  If the proposed
policy is to verbose to read, it's probably too complicated
to consider in a public meeting.
2. Einar describes the discussion on the mailing list.
3. Key points (as identified by the AC) are presented,
bulletized, for discussion.  The length of discussion on
each is limited.
4. Any additional points for discussion are raised.

This would give the AC clearer feedback on what parts of a
proposal (failed to) receive(d) support, so they could
adjust the wording as needed.

Lee