[ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-3: Global Addresses for Private Network Inter-Connectivity

Einar Bohlin einarb at arin.net
Thu Apr 8 12:24:15 EDT 2004

I apologize for the delayed response.

In this thread on private nets Michael Dillon wrote:

>>I would like to see a comment from ARIN staff as to whether or not
>>they interpret the current rules this way.

Please allow me to point out the current policy text, and then explain
how requests for private nets are handled.

First, the policy text for "Non-connected Networks" can be found in
ARIN's IPv4 policy documentation (http://www.arin.net/policy/ipv4.html):

Non-connected Networks

End-users not currently connected to an ISP and/or plan not to be
connected to the Internet are encouraged to use private IP numbers
reserved for non-connected networks (see RFC 1918).

**************

Second, requests are handled as follows:

When someone requests nets for a private network the first thing we do
is refer them to the nets outlined in RFC 1918.  In many cases this
turns out to be helpful because the one making the request was unaware
of the existence of private net space.

There are cases where a requesting entity is able to clearly state a
technical reason for not being able to use the addresses outlined in RFC
1918 and justify unique IPv4 address space even though they will not be
connecting to the Internet.  These cases are rare.

There are also situations where the request is somewhere between the two
cases outlined above and the decision to approve or deny the request is
left to the judgment of the ARIN staff.  These cases are tracked very
closely and documented for future reference to provide the highest level
of consistency possible.

Regards,

Einar Bohlin - Policy Analyst, ARIN
einarb at arin.net +1 703 227-9867