[ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-3: Global Addresses for Private Network Inter-Connectivity

Anthony DeBoer adb at onramp.ca
Thu Apr 1 11:08:57 EST 2004

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:
> for instance, connecting together a large number of
> existing private E911 networks over a large geographic
> area. Unique addresses are needed to maintain universal
> routability in such an interconnect infrastructure.

I'd be concerned about putting the entire E911 infrastructure into one
routable network, just for security reasons, and would countersuggest
that perhaps each unit thereof should use 1918 addressing behind a
firewall, which itself would be on a globally-uniquely-addressed E911
backbone.  That would give some control of what accesses each unit is
giving its peers and auditing of the use of such access, and call for a
much smaller block.

You don't want the PC they use to surf pr0n between calls at the firehall
to catch a remote-access trojan and infect every other emergency-services
Windows box in the nation.

--
Anthony DeBoer
Onramp Technical Support