[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Sep 30 15:09:47 EDT 2003

>> Nobody chose to be under ARIN's control.  You're not special.
> Oops, then I must have it wrong! I was under the impression that
> a group of Americans set up ARIN primarily for Americans, and
> declared that parts of Africa shall, like it or not, get their IP
> numbers from ARIN and shall abide by ARIN's policies, be they
> appropriate for Africa or not.

nope.  it was set up by NORTH americans, e.g, raymundo vega of
mexico was on the founding board for a while, and the focus was
indeed on the americas, north, south, and colonies (to be tactless
but honest).  but, at the time, ripe was already serving some of
africa, and arin, which was taking over from internic/nsi, was
simply inheriting internic's responsibilities to continue to serve
those parts of africa not served by existing rirs.  the thought was
always that africa would have its own rir.  who could have guessed
that intra-african territorial in-fighting would delay that for a
decade?

randy