[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Sep 30 13:25:15 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 mlawrie at zanet.co.za wrote:

> If there is a need throughout ARIN's main region of control (USA) to
> have a change in policy, then propose it and let it stand or fall on
> the merits of the arguments. But it is a really sick dog-in-the-
> manger approach to set about blocking another proposal for another
> region (Southern Africa) that has had, without choice, to fall under
> ARIN's control and therefore has had to comply with some policies

Nobody chose to be under ARIN's control.  You're not special.

All that's happened here is someone put forth a proposal making special
policy for a small minority of ARIN members/potential ARIN members, and
some of us said "hey, wait a second.  That sounds like a good policy for
everyone.  Why exclude the majority?"

Like Owen, I have lots of IPs and the comfort of knowing when I run
through them, I'll do some ARIN paperwork and just get more.  But I've
been in the situation this policy was written for, and I know people who
still are.  I don't see why they shouldn't benefit from this proposed
change.

 Atlantic Net                |