[ppml] Policy Proposal 2002-3: Micro-Assignments for Multihomed Networks

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Tue Sep 30 13:08:23 EDT 2003

Hello Jim,

> Can I ask for 1 clarification:
> Allocation vs Assignment.
> Allocation allows voting rights where as assignment does not.
> Is this a true statement?

ISPs who receive allocations from ARIN do automatically become
members of ARIN.  End-user organizations who receive assignments
from ARIN do not automatically become members of ARIN.  Any
organization may become a member of ARIN, however, without
having to obtain numbering resources from ARIN.

Only members may vote in elections of ARIN's Board and
Advisory Council.

Policy discussion is not exclusive to ARIN members.  Any
individual may participate in the Internet Resource Policy
Evaluation Process.

> If both Allocation and Assignment are made part of the
> proposal, who make the decision of which is completed? IE
> Allocation goes to ISPs, Assignment to end user?

ISPs receive allocations from ARIN.  End-users receive
assignments.

The fee schedule for ISP subscriptions for bulk IP
registrations and individual address space assignments
for end-users is different.

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations