[ppml] Policy Proposal 2003-15: IPv4 Allocation Policy for the Africa Portion of the ARIN Region

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Sep 24 15:55:19 EDT 2003

> I don't think its any longer question of IF the Afrinic would exist, but
> its rather question of WHEN. Go to www.afrinic.org - you'll find enough
> material there to support my assesment.

You're probably right, but, it is far from certain.

> And there is also other evidence as seen from posts from African ISPs
> on this list that if allocation size for africa was reduced, it would
> bring more African ISP members to ARIN (probably from 50% to 100% more)
> and that would go long way in helping to establish stable base for future
> Afrinic.

I agree the allocation size needs to be reduced.  I just don't agree that
this need is specific t Africa.

> ARIN, RIPE and APNIC also do not want to be accountable to ICANN as can be
> seen from some unilateral actions on behalf of RIR such as the latest
<snip>  You are right... this is off topic.

>> However, I still think this policy should be rolled into 2002-3 and made
>> global.
>> Owen
>
> I have a sad feeling that if we try amend 2003-3 (to which AC finally
> agreed to) with such fundamental issue as micro-allocations, then it'll
> be delayed even more which is worth for the community. In my view it,
> while having both micro assignments and micro-allocation size reduced is
> /22 or less should be utlimate gole, we should not to prevent just the
> micro-assignments. And Owen, since you have been on most of the last ARIN
> meetings you should remember how hard it was to even push simple
> micro-assignemtns on that forum that has 10:1 ratio between
> representative  of LARGE and SMALL ISPs.

I think amending 2002-3 probably won't delay this.  I think keeping 2003-15
will kill 2002-3 and 2003-15 by divide and conquer.

Yes, I do remember.  That is why I think that getting ANY microassignment
passed will require the cooperation of ALL people desiring microassignment
(or microallocation) towards a common goal.  If we allow ourselves to become
divided, we will become conquered.  As such, I think that we should amend
2002-3 to support both Micro Assignments and Micro Allocations, and make
a global policy that addresses the needs of small(er) ISPs everywhere in
the ARIN service area.

I also agree that ARIN needs to more actively recruit participation from
small(er) ISPs, but, this is a hard problem to solve.  Unfortunately, the
disenfranchised are the ones least likely to have the resources to become
enfranchised (is that even a valid word?).

Owen