[ppml] Allocation and reallocation

Taylor, Stacy Stacy_Taylor at icgcomm.com
Mon Oct 27 12:35:05 EST 2003

Hi All,
The English language is inherently confusing.  Think of lie/lay,
affect/effect, who/whom.  It takes effort to utilize the language
appropriately.

We the IP administrators are a very technical subset of a very technical
industry.  To expect that we would not employ jargon unintelligible to those
outside our focus, (including our VPs, NOCs, and salespeople), is
ridiculous.  Just because Merriam Webster states that the two terms are
synonymous does not signify they mean precisely the same thing.

These terms are entirely appropriate in their subtlety.  The ability to
further assign from an allocation is very subtle, but very important.

It seems to me that you are proposing to change the opus of ARIN policy
because you feel the terms Allocate and Assign are excessively alliterative.
This, to me, is not a valid reason.

Stacy "Turtleneck" Taylor
Speaking as a Private Individual