[ppml] Allocation and reallocation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Oct 27 11:22:17 EST 2003

I have a number of ASSIGNMENTS which I fully expect are mine to take with
me when I switch providers.  That is because they are direct ASSIGNMENTS
from the RIR.  ASSIGNMENT vs. ALLOCATION is not what makes this distinction.
That distinction is handled by "Provider Assigned" and "Provider Independent"
space definitions.  Generally, Providers (LIRs) do not make Allocations,
but, in some cases, they do.  I know that when the LIR was part of my job
at Exodus, we had a number of customers to whom we Allocated space and they
submitted SWIPs for their customers to ARIN directly.  However, were they
to move, we fully expected all of that PA Allocation back.

RIRs issue PI space.  LIRs issue PA space.  [LR]IRs issue allocations to
entities which will divide that space up for customer use.  [LR]IRs issue
assignments to entities which will use that space for their own purposes.

I hope the above paragraph provides a sufficient definition to allow us to
at least agree on what these terms currently mean in the ARIN context.  If
we want to come up with new adjectives or whatever, I have no problem with
that, but, I'd like to start that definition from a common frame of reference
about what we are defining.

Owen