[ppml] Allocation and reallocation

Romary, Jim jim.romary at qwest.com
Fri Oct 24 12:22:18 EDT 2003

Greetings. After a looooong haitus I am back to managing address
space for a company I work for. For now, at least. I am Jim Romary,
and I used to be {host|post|news|*}master for SuperNet, a regional ISP
that got
bought at the end of 1997. Among my functions was address acquisition
and management pre-ARIN.

I would like to weigh in with my understanding of the two terms. I don't

feel that appeals to Merriam Webster or any other source will produce
much clarity on this issue, BTW. As in Scrabble, we need to agree on
an authority before we start playing that game.

My understanding has always been the one recently espoused by Cathy,
which
is actually less a definition than a statement of some characteristics:

Allocations can be broken up into assignments and given to customers,
but assignments can not be further delegated to other organizations,
or customers.

This has been even more succinctly stated by Owen, below.

Allocations are addresses that should ALWAYS be returned by Assignees
upon
the latter's seeking a new provider, its demise by bankruptcy, its
swallowing
by another company with its own allocations, or any other event that
would
cause the assignee to either go off-net or be topologically different
enough
(network-wise) to get a new provider. Theoretically, companies that need

assignments come and go, seek new providers with cheaper fares, merge,
go
off-shore, etc. They are and should be more mobile than Registeries.
Allocatations to Registries can only be further assigned. Level of
"ownership"
and control devolves downward as the distance from uber registry, ICANN,

increases.

Allocations went to RIRs. Assignments went from the Regionals and
Providers
to their customers. Customers always returned their assignments when
they
sought a new Provider. I never "allocated" addresses to customers, and
for
this reason, we never charged for use of address space. The terms
"allocation"
and "ownership" were too entwined.

Jim Romary