[ppml] allocate/assignxy

Lee Howard lee.howard at mci.com
Thu Oct 23 19:16:57 EDT 2003

>From RFC2050:

This document makes a distinction between the allocation of IP
   addresses and the assignment of IP addresses.  Addresses are
   allocated to ISPs by regional registries to assign to its customer
   base.
[. . .]
An assignment is the delegation of authority over a block of IP
   addresses to an end enterprise.   The end enterprise will use
   addresses from an assignment internally only; it will not sub-
   delegate those addresses.

I think "delegation" here is used in a common English sense, and
could be defined from context.  This also clearly explains
"assignment" and "allocation."

>From ARIN's web page (http://www.arin.net/registration/index.html):

A distinction is made between address allocation and address assignment, i.e., ISPs are "allocated" address space, while end-users are "assigned" address space. ISPs are allocated blocks of IP addresses for the purpose of assigning or further allocating that space to their customers, while end-users receive assignments of IP addresses exclusively for use in their operational networks.

The concern in Wednesday's policy BOF, as I heard it, was not that
the terms are poorly defined, but that even knowing the definitions
it's easy to confuse which term applies to which definition, and maybe
ther distinction isn't necessary after all.

My memory is not perfect, so maybe the person who raised the concern
could raise it again.

Lee