[ppml] New ARIN Sub-region Policy Proposal (Rural-America)

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Oct 8 12:19:04 EDT 2003

>If this is not the time or day for the argument to provide portable space

>for low population areas based upon the availability of connection
>resources, I fail to see how this can become the time or day to reduce
the
>allocation requirement based upon availability of connection resources.

Let me explain the timing. Policies proposals cannot
be voted on at an ARIN member meeting unless they
have been submitted to ARIN 6 weeks prior to the meeting.
The rural proposal missed that deadline, therefore
this is not really the time to discuss the details
of the proposal. In fact, I don't believe it was
even submitted to ARIN formally so it will not even
get handled at the following member meeting unless
that is rectified.

Before submitting a proposal about rural
connectivity needs, we really do need some
more discussion of the issue to deal with the
potential objections that will arise if a policy
is formally proposed. The policy BOF at the next
meeting might be a good place to begin this. After
the meeting is over, this list might be a good
place to continue the discussion. The end result
could be that there is a well-crafted policy
proposal up for voting at the first ARIN meeting
next year.

But right now, it is better if the list focuses
on the proposals listed here
http://www.arin.net/policy/proposal_archive.html
because that's what we will be voting on in
two weeks or so.

--Michael Dillon