[ppml] Afrinic and so-called sub-regional policies

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Oct 6 16:46:14 EDT 2003

> How do you know it 'will not happen again'?? In Canada, Quebec has had
> a vote for sovereignty and it failed. However, the local regional
> politicians have stated very bluntly that they will try and try and try;
> until it does happens. And if they succed, look for them to also request
> 'special' status;
Like what - "continent of Quebec"? Be serious!

The only thing I do think that is relevent about Quebec is that ARIN should
consider providing services in French (which would also apply for large
parts of Africa that ARIN serves) and translating some of the important
documents on website. They'd appreaciate this and besides other RIRs
provide services languages in major languages spoken in its region, like
LACNIC operates entirely in 3 languages for everything, apnic provides
support in 6+ languages and I think RIPE does as well. I never understood
before why ARIN has not translated the site or provided support in Spanish
for when latin american countries were still part of ARIN, but now I guess
its not relevant. But this is completely different topic.

> IMHO, You'll be setting a precident that others 'will' want to follow
> or bend to their own 'special' situation; which in the long term will
> not help 'everyone'. (The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few)

If there comes time when there is another RIR in the future in process of
being setup and process is accepted and supported by other RIRs , I'd not
have problem with it requesting some special status of its relevent.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net