[ppml] Afrinic and so-called sub-regional policies

Trevor Paquette Trevor.Paquette at TeraGo.ca
Mon Oct 6 18:49:16 EDT 2003

> subdividing. Internal North American issues are irrelevant to 2003-15.

Wrong. Granting 'special' status to ANY group is an issue for everyone, like it or not.

> This is a unique situation that will not happen again and an opportunity
> for us to make a gesture of goodwill towards the ISPs in southern African
> countries.

How do you know it 'will not happen again'?? In Canada, Quebec has had a vote for sovereignty and it failed. However, the local regional politicians have stated very bluntly that they will try and try and try; until it does happens. And if they succed, look for them to also request 'special' status;

IMHO, You'll be setting a precident that others 'will' want to follow or bend to their own 'special' situation; which in the long term will not help 'everyone'. (The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few)

Don't assume this whole Africa thing will never happen again.. You'd best err on the side of 'when' it happens again.. and 'when' it does, look for that new country to want their own policies etc.. Wait till Russia wants thier own RIR.. and all of the other new contries that were created by the breakup of the USSR.

For the record, as a member of ARIN in good standing, I cannot vote in favor of
2003-15.