[ppml]How far is too far?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Oct 5 19:29:58 EDT 2003

You are correct... What I was remembering as that requirement is not there.
The actual requirement is somewhat different from what I stated.
It is contained in RFC 2050 on page 7 and reads as follows:

3. Assignment Framework

   An assignment is the delegation of authority over a block of IP
   addresses to an end enterprise.   The end enterprise will use
   addresses from an assignment internally only; it will not sub-
   delegate those addresses.  This section discusses some of the issues
   involved in assignments and the framework behind the assignment of
   addresses.

   In order for the Internet to scale using existing technologies, use
   of regional registry services should be limited to the assignment of
   IP addresses for organizations meeting one or more of the following
   conditions:

      a)  the organization has no intention of connecting to
          the Internet-either now or in the future-but it still
          requires a globally unique IP address.  The organization
          should consider using reserved addresses from RFC1918.
          If it is determined this is not possible, they can be
          issued unique (if not Internet routable) IP addresses.

      b)  the organization is multi-homed with no favored connection.

      c)  the organization's actual requirement for IP space is
          very large, for example, the network prefix required to
          cover the request is of length /18 or shorter.

I stand corrected, but, I still think this is sufficient requirement to
make it unnecessary to require an ASN as a prerequisite.

Owen

--On Saturday, October 4, 2003 9:42 PM -0400 Ron da Silva <ron at aol.net>