[ppml]How far is too far?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Oct 4 12:00:59 EDT 2003

We should.  However, until we have a successful ASN reclamation process
underway, making policy based on the assumption that we can reclaim
ASNs is probably not the best plan.

Since the requirement already exists for end user assignments that the
end user be multihomed or have a unique routing policy, I think the ASN
requirement on this policy would be harmful.  Afterall, if the end user
meets those requirements, they can apply for and get an ASN.  Making them
do so only serves to accelerate ASN exhaustion.

As to ISPs, I believe ISPs which are seeking to do this also need to
be multihomed as part of their justification.  As such, they're probably
already in posession of an ASN, so, virtually no effect there, either.

Owen

--On Saturday, October 4, 2003 10:06 AM -0400 "McBurnett, Jim"