[ppml]How far is too far?

Bill Van Emburg arin-member at quadrix.com
Sat Oct 4 09:35:14 EDT 2003

Ron da Silva wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:42:34AM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>
>>In general those without an AS should be getting from their upstream.
>>I can see how larger, yet single homed entities might want their
>>own RIR space so they don't have to renumber when they move, and
>>that's ok.
>

> There is no ASN requirement currently for end-user space
> (aka assignments).  So should,
>
> 1) a change from /20 to /22 for assignments require ASN from some RIR
> 2) should ALL assignments (micro or not) be required an ASN
> 3) should NO assignments (mirco or not) be required an ASN ??

You need to be careful here.  AS numbers are actually a more limited
resource than IPv4 addresses!  While I haven't looked at the ARIN graphs
recently, a couple years ago ASN exhaustion was the most immediate
threat, although plans were being discussed to extend it....
--
				     -- Bill Van Emburg
					Quadrix Solutions, Inc.